Sunday, May 2, 2010

I tried to stop #$&%ing swearing once but...


(http://almostmakessense.com/comics/2008-09-06-hate-swearing.jpg)




I'm a swearing addict. I don't even necessarily like to admit it because lets be honest I don't think theres anything really sexy when a woman drops the F-bomb on a daily basis. But still, the words just flow out of my mouth multiple times a day. I mean even though I don't think its attractive I've never been one to think swearing was a bad thing. For me they are just words, just all the other words we use everyday and to be honest half the time I use the words I'm not using its defined meaning. In fact most of the time I'm just using the words when I'm telling a story and want to express myself effectively! So the good news is I found an article from Scientific American that discusses that new studies show that swearing could actually be good for you because it can help you relieve more pain. There was a study done to see how long university students emerged their hands in ice cold water and students could either choose a swear word to say repeatedly or chant a neutral word and the study showed that the 67 students repeating the swear word reported less pain and usually lasted an average 40 seconds longer than the students chanting the neutral word. The article goes on to discuss how swearing is also a way of expressing our emotions, whether it be anger, joy, surprise, happiness, etc (Why the #$%! Do We Swear? For Pain Relief.-Fredrik Joelving). So lucky us, maybe swearing isn't so #@%$ing bad after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment