Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"When the world ends, we'll be burnin' one."-Dave Matthews Band




Are all drugs bad? I'd personally answer that with no. For me the majority of drugs can be bad and can clearly make people do bad things-especially drugs like: heroin & cocaine-I do believe that its probably best to avoid trying those but what about marijuana? I imagine a large portion of students in our module have at least tried smoking weed once in their lives. I also know a large amount of people that smoke in their daily life and still function normally. It's like a smoker who is addicted to smoking fags only they are smoking joints instead. I found an article online that discusses common myths about smoking weed and then presents the actual facts on the topics. One in particular that I liked discussed the myth that smoking marijuana is highly addictive. The article states the facts that read: "Most people who smoke marijuana smoke it only occasionally. A small minority of Americans - less than 1 percent - smoke marijuana on a daily basis. An even smaller minority develop a dependence on marijuana. Some people who smoke marijuana heavily and frequently stop without difficulty. Others seek help from drug treatment professionals. Marijuana does not cause physical dependence. If people experience withdrawal symptoms at all, they are remarkably mild" (Drug Policy Alliance Network). I'm not trying to sit here and tell everybody that they should go out and become stoners or that they should even occasionally smoke weed but I am asking everybody to really take a look at marijuana and if it's really that "bad" or not. I think that in some cases if it helps somebody relax, like me with a glass of wine or a pint of beer, and isn't doing harm to them or their bodies then they shouldn't be penalized for it.

For more Myths & Truths visit the Drug Policy Alliance Network's article online at: Myths and Facts about Marijuana

No comments:

Post a Comment