Thursday, April 29, 2010

Drink. Drank. Drunk.


(http://daninz.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/wickerpark3.jpg)




Binge drinking is an obvious issue in Britain as discussed in class. But as an international student from America I found that a lot of what we discussed is similar as at home. In fact, I'm pretty sure that we are probably the country that is the most comparable to Britain in the way that they drink. It's very common for people our age to focus on school and work all week but as soon as its Friday night start pounding the drinks. There are some nights that people go out on: especially Thursdays (Thirsty Thursdays as they are called in the States). Not only are we big binge drinkers but the whole leaving the clubs and getting into fights thing is quite common as well. Actually, most of the time there is at least one fight that breaks out-usually between two drunk blokes that probably don't even have a reason to fight but just feel like being complete meat heads. But its not just one specific type of person in the Uni years that binge drinks, I'm almost certain that at least 90% of students have been guilty of doing it at least once, I know I have. So the big question still remains: Why do we binge drink? Personally, I have find myself being guilty of binge drinking when all my friends what to go out dancing or I'm in any social drinking scene really. Half the time I'm only getting more drinks because everyone around me is drinking. I also imagine that stress plays a role in binge drinking as well. I mean at home I go to Uni every day of the week and then I work 30 some hours on top of that. When I get a night off and a chance to let loose I tend to go a little above and beyond on the drinking. I know that why people binge drink will probably always be one of those "mysterious" topics but overall I think that its mostly culturally related.

Heres a link to an article from the New York Times that discusses cultural reasonings to binge drinking: When People Drink Themselves Silly and Why

No comments:

Post a Comment