Thursday, February 18, 2010

Smoking





Google: "Smoking" and what comes up? Heres just the first few topics: NHS Go Smokefree, Smoking: Health risks, Smoking-articles for teens on smoking..and the list goes on. Not only are the articles anti-smoking but so are most of the images (such as the one above). As if we didn't already know the dangers of smoking already without having to read a million articles on it. What if I googled smoking in hopes to find the newest, coolest brand of fags, would seeing these articles come up really prevent me from ultimately redefining my search and trying again? I think not. I'm not even a smoker and it gets under my skin the way society has started to try to ban and prevent people from smoking. I've never felt that just because I don't smoke that I have the right to tell somebody else that they shouldn't or can't. I mean really aren't we all supposed to make our own decisions? Being from America I always wondered why our government thinks that its their place to tell somebody they can't smoke in front of a building but instead have to be 25 feet away from the building or else they may get fined. I mean okay, I understand the ban on smoking inside or a public building more because I realize the effects 2nd hand smoke may have on people who really despise smoke but outside? I personally think thats pushing it. What will be next- no smoking and driving? the banishment of all cigarettes? And whats after smoking? I mean we all have bad habits that others may look down upon- I know for me I play my music in my car wayyy too loud and get more than the occasional glare from the cars next to me. I just think that we should all take a look at our own habits before pointing the finger and trying to take away something somebody enjoys-such as smoking. Heres an article that discusses why its wrong for the government to get involved in banning smoking-from 2006: "Government smoking ban would stomp on human rights" by Dan Hemp


No comments:

Post a Comment