Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lying

(http://www.tnellen.com/06iths/spring/lies/lies7.gif)


So as I sit here in my dorm room sick I couldn't help but to think back to when I was younger. When I was a kid and my parents were making me go to day camp I used to literally make myself physically sick because I didn't want to go. I tried to pull every trick in the book all so that I could stay home. I got over it eventually and started going willingly but when I was in high school (primary school) I continued the trend of lying in hopes to get out of a day or two of school. I'd even develop a plan of attack to lie to my parents so that they would believe me and call me off the next day. I remember that I would wake up in the middle of the night and go into their room with tears in my eyes telling them that I had "gotten sick" and I thought I had a fever-I was quite the actress- and they'd feel bad for me and often just automatically call me off school when they woke up the next morning. I mean how awful am I? I know everybody lies (at least once in their lives-I mean personally I haven't met any saints) and I still have a hard time thinking about why it is we do. I'd definitely say that for me personally looking back I lied quite a bit about stupid things that benefited me-the whole being sick thing, that I was staying at one friends house and really was somewhere else-dumb little baby lies. But they are still deceitful and although I'm sure my parents knew I was lying at times I feel like I still probably hurt them. Luckily now a days I realize how cool my parents really are and I can pretty much tell them anything. But I'm still not lie free. Although I lied for my own benefit when I was younger I find myself telling lies now in hopes to spare somebodies feelings. Is this still wrong though? I mean its hard not to when you know that you could hurt somebody by telling them the truth. It's one of the hardest things to see yourself hurting another person but most of the time the truth will come out later and it will just hurt them more. So the question still remains why do we lie? Here is a link to an article that discusses some of the possibilities on what different lies sound like, why we do tell these lies and how to try to avoid these lies: "The Truth About Lying" by Jenna Mccarthy

No comments:

Post a Comment